Thank you to all those who entered the 2016 Videonet Connected TV Awards. The winners are listed below with pictures from the event at the bottom of the page.
Video Technology Hero
Winner: Harmonic, Harmonic Electra X advanced media processor family with graphics, branding and playout
Commended: AirTies, Wireless Mesh Wi-Fi with Client Steering
Also shortlisted: Ericsson, Ericsson MediaFirst cloud agnostic platform for next-generation Pay TV, and V-Nova, PERSEUS video processing technology.
The Data-Driven TV Award
Winner: Sky Media, Sky AdVance platform for connecting advertising campaigns across TV and online
Commended: Freesat & TVbeat, audience measurement solution to analyse real-time viewing data from Freesat consumers
Also shortlisted: Conviva, Intelligent Control Platform for QoE and consumer engagement management, and ThinkAnalytics, Recommendation Engine for search and personalised recommendations in live and VOD.
Best TV/Video Service Update or Launch
Winner: TVPlayer, TVPlayer Plus, the 25 channel entry-level Pay TV streaming service with channels like Turner and UKTV.
Commended: Netgem, My TV for personalising TV and making live and recorded content available on multiscreen devices.
Also shortlisted: Eurosport, Eurosport Player re-launch including second screen complements for live coverage, and
FreeCast, FreeCast content discovery engine, bringing online media into an aggregated interactive guide.
Contribution to User Experience
Winner: Netgem, The Companion Screen for programme information and social interaction and fast ‘skip back’
Commended: NAGRA, intuiTV all-in-one-place television experience that blends live Pay TV, films and streaming services
Also shortlisted: Accedo, Accedo VIA GO ready-to-deploy suite of applications and experiences for OTT services, and Sky Media, Sky AdSmart for a proven reduction in channel switching when advertisements are targeted.
The Big Immersive TV Prize
Winner: Ericsson, Research into HDR in HD/UHD broadcast chain and HDR proof-of-concept with Intelsat
Commended: NAGRA, Direct-to-TV Security, enabling 4K television sets to meet MovieLabs security requirements
Also shortlisted: Mediamelon, QBR technology for streaming video, reducing bandwidth requirements and video artifacts, and NAGRA, intuiTV all-in-one-place television experience that blends live Pay TV, films and streaming services.
Winner: Sky Media, Sky AdVance platform for connecting advertising campaigns across TV and online.
Commended: Sky Media, Sky AdSmart household-level addressable TV advertising system for linear TV
Also shortlisted: Channel 4, targeted online advertising with programmatic trading; Dish Media Sales, world first programmatic real-time auctions for broadcast linear TV.
Outstanding Achievement in TV 2016
Sky Media, Sky AdVance platform for connecting advertising campaigns across TV and online.
Special Citation for Beating the Ad-blockers
Sky Media – Sky AdSmart
Special Citation for Beating the Live Events Pirates
Verimatrix – VideoMark forensic watermarking solution
Special Citation for Making TV More Millennial-Friendly
NAGRA – intuiTV
The judges were:
All categories except advertising:
• Ben Schwarz, CEO, CTOi Consulting
• William Cooper, Founder and Chief Executive, informitv
• Ian Nock, Managing Director, Fairmile West
• Graham Lovelace, Director, Lovelace Consulting
• Jay Chinnadorai, Managing Director, Sumtotal
• David Mercer, VP, Principal Analyst, Digital Consumer Practice, Strategy Analytics
• Steve Hawley, Principal Analyst & Consultant, tvstrategies
• Harish Reddy, CEO, Acceleredge, LLC
• Jack Davison, Managing Consultant, 3Vision
• Matthieu de Chanville, Senior Principal, A.T. Kearney
• Ned Wiley, Independent Consultant
• Tom Thomas, Senior Security Consultant, Farncombe
• Stephen Featham, Founder, Aspect 23 Limited
• John Moulding, Editor, Videonet
• Simon Thomas, Global Director – Audiences Research, GroupM
• Niko Muñoz, Hunter-in-Chief, Innovation Hunters Network
• Stephen Adshead, Strategy Director, MTM London
• Andrew Rosenman, President, Arise Communications Inc.
• Jean-Paul Edwards, Strategy and Product Development Director EMEA, OMD
• Ned Wiley, Independent Consultant
• David Brennan, Founder, MEDIA NATIVE