This session will explore the operator and end-consumer benefits of RDK-V and RDK-B and look at the next stage of innovation efforts, while recognising future expectations for broadband CPE.
Session moderator: John Moulding, Editor-in-Chief, Videonet
14:00 Interview with Steve Heeb, President and General Manager, RDK
Steve will discuss the operator and end-consumer benefits of RDK-V and where his organisation is directing its innovation efforts next. We will explore future expectations for broadband CPE now Google (OnHub) and Amazon (Echo) are in the market, and if RDK-B can help service providers move away from one-size-fits-all gateways and routers and offer more ‘retail-like’ features. We want to know why we are still waiting for the first non-cable RDK deployments. The television industry likes technology choice so what is the ultimate market potential for RDK-V? Does proprietary software have a future and is the alternative ecosystem going to be Android?
Interviewed by John Moulding, Editor-in-Chief, Videonet
14:10 Panel: What you can achieve with RDK, and what happens next
- What new RDK ‘features’ are in the pipeline and what more do you want from the shared software stack, long-term?
- What are the efficiencies when using one software platform for all devices; Any challenges for operators using RDK on multiple STBs and SoCs?
- Are we going to see some convergence of RDK-V and RDK-B technologies – what devices, functions and services could benefit?
- In-home broadband is about to become more complex, with smarter Wi-Fi and the IoT. What does RDK-B bring to the party?
- What three things should you prepare, inside your organisation, before embarking on an RDK journey?
- Does RDK-V level the playing field for TV versus Silicon Valley, and what difference does it make if you can innovate at web-speed?
Chair: John Moulding, Editor-in-Chief, Videonet
Steve Heeb, President and General Manager, RDK
Fraser Stirling, SVP Hardware Development, Comcast
Pedro Bandeira, Director Product Development, NOS Portugal
Olivier Philippe, VP Entertainment Technology, Liberty Global
Christian Constant, VP, Product Development Entertainment, Vodafone Germany